Throughout this conducted experiment, I have found out an interesting fact that as the mass of baking soda increases, and mixed with vinegar, it releases greater amount of carbon dioxide. Looking at the graph and chart above, we can clearly see that the trend of the graph line is rapidly rose up. This experiment shows that the limiting reactants switched between the baking soda and vinegar. Meaning that the baking soda is the limiting reactant and the vinegar reacts with baking soda for the solution.
But, as I gradually increase the amount of baking soda in solution, the baking soda stopped reacting in some point. Because all the vinegar had been used up in the solution which cannot make any further chemical reaction and became neutralized. Adding on, due to the acid-base reaction, baking soda and vinegar react with each other.
Because baking soda contains bicarbonate, and vinegar contains acetic acid. As they get combined, they exchange atoms. Meaning that in this experiment, baking soda acts as a base, and takes all of the protons from a vinegar, which is an acid. As a consequence, it releases gas because when the baking soda receives the proton, it transforms into water and carbon dioxide and molecules was trapped the balloon began to expand. As I have made my own hypothesis above, 2 different kinds of substances vinegar (acetic acid), and baking soda (bicarbonate/base) made chemical reaction. Which releases carbon dioxide and it fills up the balloon. In the same context, if we increase more baking soda the amount of carbon dioxide increases as well.
According to the data presented, as the mass of baking soda increases, the volume of balloon increases dramatically due to the amount of carbon dioxide trapped inside. The line graph clearly indicates my hypothesis is correct. Overall, this project was successful. I and my partner were able to use appropriate equipments such as beaker, electric balance, teaspoon, balloon and etc.
The procedure was also easy to follow and understand. But the time consuming for each trial was too long. One of the most difficult parts of this lab was figuring out when the reaction was over, and stopping the stopwatch at precise time. I firmly believed that this conducted experiment would be much more accurate if we overlooked its temperature of environment (inside/outside) as well as starting/stopping the timer to measure the balloon in procedure. Lastly one of the biggest negative factors of this experiment was that I and my partner couldn’t complete 3 trials due to the lack of time. As a result, we averaged our data based on 2 trials. It could have been better to prove our accuracy next time if we had extra trials.
After this lab was done, I wondered whether the results would be same or not, if the amount of vinegar for each 5 test tubes would be different, and the amount of baking soda is the same. It would be really interesting to conduct those tests, as well. It would be interesting to see and compare the outcomes.