The Castillo de San Marcos(the translation is “The Castle of Saint Marcos”) was built in 1675 after the English pirates raided and burned down San Augustine.
It took them 21 years to build and was finished in 1696.(Manucy,16-27)The colonial forces that were occupying there were the English, which was led by the Carolina Colony Governor James Moore in 1702 and lead by Georgia colonial Governor James Oglethorpe.Many of Europe’s powerful empires like the Spanish, Great Britain, the Confederates states during the US Civil War, and the US took of ahold of the fort at that time.It was also the center of the Seminole War in 1834 and where the war ended.The Osceola and Coacoochee were tricked into making the trek to the fort.In the beginning of 1875, a large number of Native Americans were held captive in the aftermath of the Indian Wars in the Western part of the US.(Castillo’s spirits roam the halls,1)These early years as part of the United States were years of conflict for Florida.
For years Indian groups who had been pushed off their land in Georgia and Alabama by white settlers and had found refuge in Spanish Florida. These Indians, primarily Creeks, along with escaped African slaves, became known as Cimarrones or wild ones, the probable origin of the word Seminole.Once Florida became a territory of the United States, these Indians were no longer safe. The US Army raided their settlements, and the Seminoles and whites engaged in a series of long, expensive wars.
it Chavez-Estrada 2ended up with 4000 -5000 Seminoles being shipped to reservations in Oklahoma, and some natives would find refuge in the wilds of the Everglades.(The American Period,1)During the late 19th century, St. Augustine became the destination of America’s rich and famous. In 1885, former Standard Oil partner Henry Morrison Flagler moved Florida’s resorts to a new level with his 540-room grand Ponce de León Hotel in St. Augustine.It combined exotic Spanish Renaissance and Moorish architectural features with innovative poured concrete construction.Whisked south in their private cars on Flagler’s Florida East Coast Railroad, notables such as the Vanderbilts, Rockefellers, and Morgans made St.
Augustine their winter home, and expanded the old colonial city westward on King Street and north on San Marco. Many of the buildings downtown reflect this golden era.(The American Period,1)When they were constructing the castle, they found a light, and porous nature, coquina would seem to be a poor choice of material for a fort.The Spanish had a few other options; it was the only stone that was available on the northeast coast of Florida but it ends up having a really good benefit.The mixture contains microscopic air pockets making able to be compressed.If you were to fire a cannonball at a solid material, such as granite or brick would shatter the wall into pieces.(Architecture & Construction,1) If you were to fire a cannonball at the walls of the Castillo,it will burrowed their way into the rock and stuck there which made it last very long.
(Architecture & Construction,1)Whenever it was first built, the governor of St. Augustine resided inside the building, which is most definitely a large, fortified building that provided a retreat safe against invasions.It also has thick walls, battlements, towers, and a moat.It first became a landmark when the British gained Florida through the 1763 Treaty of Paris, they renamed the building Fort Chavez-Estrada 3Saint Mark.Then the United States Army decided in 1825 to call it Fort Marion. Under those occupations, it was indeed used for only military function. The British and the Americans did not plan to use it as a place of refuge for the citizens of St. Augustine; they both used barracks,for military function.
Then The National Park Service and United States Congress decided in 1942, to restore its original name to honor its unique Spanish history, so it went back to Castillo de San Marcos for good.(Architecture & Construction,1)The Castillo, or Fort Marion as it was known at the time, was declared a national monument on October 15, 1924, by President Calvin Coolidge.It was under the authority of the 1906 Antiquities Act, to become a national monument. Forts Matanzas, Pulaski, Wood, and Castle Pinckney were included in the same signing. Later on, President Franklin D. Roosevelt sought a variety of ways to stimulated the American economy during his first term in office.
Among his many ideas was the decision to streamline the responsibilities of the National Park Service (NPS).(The American Period)The National Park Service maintains and keeps it in service and helps to keep the historical site alive and open to attract tourists to come visit the site and to learn the history,architecture, and the spooky stories that are said about the fort.The stories that the tour guides talk about the times the guests have visited the site at night and would usually see strange bright lights that run along the side of the fort. Also some guest have spotted spirits inside the rooms or running through the courtyard.
many guests have also said that they have seen a head of a Native American man has been spotted floating near the water or around the site .One of the most famous ghosts is the spirit of Andrew Ranson, a villainous English pirate. When Ranson was captured he was sentenced to death by gallows but managed to survive when the rope snapped and then they Chavez-Estrada 4spared his life and they left him.According to many of the guests, they say that his spirit is still there today.(Castillo’s spirits roam the halls,1)