It can be
made with chicken thighs as it will cook quickly. Chicken drumsticks or thighs
have more flavor than chicken breasts. Use long grain white or brown rice.
Short grain or medium rice has too much starch and would be sticky. Don’t rinse
the rice before mixing it with the vegetables and chicken as it would wash away
all the surface starch and would not be creamy. Serve this with a green or
fruit salad or white wine.
1. 2-1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks or
2. 1/3 cup flour
3. Salt and pepper
4. 3 tablespoon olive oil
5. 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
6. 1 chopped onion
7. 2 chopped garlic
8. 2 cups sliced carrot
9. 3 stalks celery, cut into chunks
chopped red bell pepper
cups homemade chicken broth, heated to boiling
tablespoons melted butter
cup grated Parmesan cheese
HOW TO MAKE:
1. Heat the oven to 350 degree F
2. Combine the flour, salt and pepper
and mix it well. Roll the drumsticks in this mixture. Heat the oil and let the
drumsticks turn brown by turning each several times for about 5-6 minutes.
3. Meanwhile place the rice, salt and
pepper, onion and garlic in a glass baking dish.
4. To this rice mixture add carrots,
celery, red bell pepper, hot chicken broth and melted butter and mix it well.
5. The rice should be completely covered
in the liquid. Place the bay leaves on top of this rice mixture.
6. Arrange the browned chicken
drumsticks on top of the rice mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
7. Finally cover the baking dish and
bake at 350 degree F for 45 minutes till the chicken is properly cooked and the
rice is tender.
8. Remove the bay leaves and serve the
chicken with rice mixture.